The YM series stretched from the two-cylinder, Yanmar 2YM15 (14hp) to the the three-cylinder 3YM20 (21hp) and the 3YM30 (29hp). These “big displacement” Yanmar diesels produced more power, enjoyed easy starting and delivered more torque at low engine speeds. The new design (over the previous generation of GM engines) meant quieter, smoother and cleaner running yet they maintained the traditional Yanmar values of quality and dependability.
With the added benefit of simplified maintenance due to the new location of the sea-water pump and all other service points being together near the engine front these units were quickly recognized as the best-in-class auxiliary power for sailboats and tough, reliable primary power for small motor craft.
Dimensions of the Yanmar 2YM15 Engine
Components of the Yanmar 2YM15 Engine
What is the weight of a Yanmar 2YM15 Diesel Engine?
The dry weight of a Yanmar 2YM15 marine diesel engine, with no stern gear attached, is 103 kg or 227 lbs. Lubricating Oil, coolant, stern gear and upgraded alternators will add to this weight.
OWNERS’ TIP: Use this handy printout to record all the important details about your Yanmar engine and then file it away safely at home for future reference.
Maintenance jobs for your Yanmar 2YM15
- Changing the primary fuel filter on your marine diesel installation
- Checking the starter motor drive belt on your Yanmar 2YM15
- Removal and inspection of the air filter on the 2YM15
- Removal and inspection of the exhaust mixing elbow on the 2YM15
- Servicing the heat exchanger in your 2YM15
Winterising jobs for your Yanmar 2YM15
- Yanmar 2YM15 engine oil and filter change – see our Yanmar Oil change “hacks” here
- Flushing salt-water from the heat exchanger and introducing anti-freeze
- Clean and winterise the raw-water filter
- Stern gear: Grease your lip seal or refill the greaser on your stuffing box
- Changing the Secondary Fuel filter on the Yanmar 2GM20
- Inspecting the anodes in your Yanmar 2YM15 heat exchanger
- Removing and testing the thermostat on your Yanmar 2YM15
- Removing and inspecting the air intake filter/silencer on the Yanmar 2YM15