Volvo Penta MD 2040
The Volvo Penta MD 2040 is a 3 cylinder, fresh-water cooled marine diesel engine delivering a crankshaft power output of 29.1 Kw or 40 hp.
Design Features of the MD 2040 Engine
Engine and block
- Cylinder block and cylinder head manufactured from high grade cast iron. Crankcase features a rigid tunnel block design.
- Chrome molybdenum forged crankshaft, statically and dynamically balanced with integral counterweights.
- Pistons are cast from high silicon aluminum, are heat treated and fitted with two cast iron, chromium faced compression rings and a single oil ring.
- Replaceable, hardened valve seats
- Elastic coupling on flywheel
- Tuned front and rear cushion-type rubber mounts. Adjustable.
- Spin-on full flow oil filter
- Separate oil scavenger pipe
- Closed circuit crankcase ventilation
- Flange mounted, cam driven inIine injection pump
- Feed pump with hand primer
- Spin-on type fine fuel filter
- Freshwater cooled exhaust manifold and seawater cooled exhaust elbow
- Freshwater cooling system governed by thermostat
- Tubular heat exchanger with integral expansion tank
- Coolant system prepared for hot water outlet fittings
- Easily accessible sea water pump and impeller
- 12V corrosion-protected electrical system
- 14 Volt / 6O Amp marine alternator
- Charging regulator with electronic sensor for voltage drop compensation
- Glow plugs for cold starting
- Electric starter motor (2.0 kW output)
- Extension cable harness with plug-in connection available in various lengths
Choice of transmissions
- MS15A – reverse gear with 8° down angle output: Ratio 2.14:1 or 2.63:1.
- MS15L – reverse gear with straight output: Ratio 2.14:1 or 2.63:1.
- 130S / 130SR – S-drive. Ratio 2.47:1.
- Housing of gravity die-cast aluminum alloy
- Mechanical cone clutch shift
- Safety coupling with built-in overload protection
- Oil cooler (MS15)
Specifications of the Volvo Penta MD2040
|Volvo Penta MD2040|
|Number of Cylinders||3|
|Idle (no-load) speed (rpm)||850|
|Full load speed (rpm)||3900|
|Cylinder Diameter (mm)||84|
|Weight, engine without oil and water (kg)||179|
Components of the Volvo Penta MD2040
- Coolant filler cap
- Expansion tank
- Relay box with fuses
- Flexible mounting
- Starter motor
- AC generator
- Oil cooler, reverse gear
- Dipstick, reverse gear/S-drive
- Fine fuel filter
- Oil filler cap, engine
- Dipstick, engine
- Air cleaner (ACL) / Air intake
- Seawater pump
- Injection pump
- Lubricating oil filter
- Fuel pump
Maintenance jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2040
- Changing the primary fuel filter on your marine diesel installation
- Checking the starter motor drive belt on your Volvo Penta MD2040
- Removal and inspection of the air filter on the Volvo Penta MD2040
Winterising jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2040
- Volvo Penta MD2040 engine oil and filter change
- Flushing salt-water from the Volvo Penta MD2040 and introducing anti-freeze
- Clean and winterise the raw-water filter
- Stern gear: Grease your lip seal or refill the greaser on your stuffing box
- Changing the Secondary Fuel filter on the Volvo Penta MD2040
- Removing and testing the thermostat on your Volvo Penta MD2040
Do you own and maintain a Volvo Penta MD2000 series Marine Diesel Engine? Would you be interested in joining our panel of owners for this engine? Or maybe you would like to ask them a question. Either way, simply share your email address with us in the box below and we’ll do the rest. If you have time, let us know a little bit about yourself. You should know, though, that we never share email addresses with anyone else.