Volvo Penta MD 2030
The Volvo Penta MD 2030 is a 29hp, normally aspirated three cylinder marine diesel engine based on the Perkins 103-10 base engine. A marine engine of advanced design manufactured from quality components.
The MD2030 is fitted with freshwater cooling as standard. This reduces internal corrosion and enables the engine to maintain a consistent and optimal working temperature under all conditions. To avoid galvanic corrosion the engine is equipped with the unique electrical insulation between engine and transmission.
Smooth running with very low vibration levels results from a dynamically balanced design incorporating a flywheel of high rotating mass and high efficiency rubber insulation. The engine’s high torque provides excellent operating characteristics to aid maneuvering, particularly in confined spaces.
Design Features of the MD2030
Engine and block
- Cylinder block and cylinder head manufactured from high grade cast iron. Crankcase features a rigid tunnel block design.
- Chrome molybdenum forged crankshaft, statically and dynamically balanced with integral counterweights.
- Pistons are cast from high silicon aluminum, are heat treated and fitted with two cast iron, chromium faced compression rings and a single oil ring.
- Replaceable, hardened valve seats
- Elastic coupling on flywheel
- Tuned front and rear cushion-type rubber mounts. Adjustable.
- Spin-on full flow oil filter
- Separate oil scavenger pipe
- Closed circuit crankcase ventilation
- Flange mounted, cam driven inIine injection pump
- Feed pump with hand primer
- Spin-on type fine fuel filter
- Freshwater cooled exhaust manifold and seawater cooled exhaust elbow
- Freshwater cooling system governed by thermostat
- Tubular heat exchanger with integral expansion tank
- Coolant system prepared for hot water outlet fittings
- Easily accessible sea water pump and impeller
- 12 Volt corrosion-protected electrical system
- 14 Volt / 60 Amp marine alternator
- Charging regulator with electronic sensor for voltage drop compensation
- Glow plugs for cold starting
- Electric starter motor (1.2 kW output)
- Extension cable harness with plug-in connection available in various lengths
Specifications of the MD 2030 Engine
|Number of Cylinders||3|
|Idle (no-load) speed (rpm)||850|
|Full load speed (rpm)||3900|
|Cylinder Diameter (mm)||75|
|Weight, engine without oil and water (kg)||129|
Components of the MD 2030 Engine
- Coolant filler cap
- Expansion tank
- Relay box with fuses
- Flexible suspension mounts
- Starter motor
- Dipstick, reverse gear/S-drive
- Secondary fuel filter (fine)
- Oil filler cap, engine
- Dipstick, engine
- Air cleaner (ACL)/Air intake
- Seawater pump
- Injection pump
- Lubricating oil filter
- Fuel pump
Maintenance jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2030
- Changing the primary fuel filter on your marine diesel installation
- Checking the starter motor drive belt on your Volvo Penta MD2030
- Removal and inspection of the air filter on the Volvo Penta MD2030
Winterising jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2030
- Volvo Penta MD2030 engine oil and filter change
- Flushing salt-water from the Volvo Penta MD2030 and introducing anti-freeze
- Clean and winterise the raw-water filter
- Stern gear: Grease your lip seal or refill the greaser on your stuffing box
- Changing the Secondary Fuel filter on the Volvo Penta MD2030
- Removing and testing the thermostat on your Volvo Penta MD2030
Do you own and maintain a Volvo Penta MD2000 series Marine Diesel Engine? Would you be interested in joining our panel of owners for this engine? Or maybe you would like to ask them a question. Either way, simply share your email address with us in the box below and we’ll do the rest. If you have time, let us know a little bit about yourself. You should know, though, that we never share email addresses with anyone else.