Volvo Penta MD2020
A 3-cylinder, freshwater-cooled marine diesel engine delivering crankshaft power of 13.8 kW (19 hp)
The MD2020 is fitted with freshwater cooling as standard. This reduces internal corrosion and enables the engine to maintain a consistent and optimal working temperature under all conditions. To avoid galvanic corrosion the engine is equipped with the unique electrical insulation between engine and transmission.
How heavy is the Volvo Penta MD2020?
The different models of the Volvo Penta MD2020 weigh between 129 kg (284 lbs) and 137 kg (302 lbs). The dry weight of the standard engine equipped with both angled and straight reverse gear (MS2A or MS2L) is 129 kg (284 lbs). When the engine is equipped with the sail drive option (120S), the dry weight is 137 kg (302 lbs). Lubricating oil, coolant and any alternator upgrades will add to this weight.
Technical Specifications of the MD2020
Engine and block
- Engine block and cylinder head manufactured from high grade cast iron. Crankcase features a rigid tunnel block design.
- Chrome molybdenum forged crankshaft, statically and dynamically balanced with integral counterweights.
- Pistons are cast from high silicon aluminum, are heat treated and fitted with two cast iron, chromium faced compression rings and a single oil ring.
- Replaceable, hardened valve seats
- Elastic coupling on flywheel
- Tuned front and rear cushion-type rubber mounts. Adjustable.
- Spin-on full flow oil filter
- Separate oil scavenger pipe
- Closed circuit crankcase ventilation
- Flange mounted, cam driven inIine injection pump
- Feed pump with hand primer
- Spin-on type fine fuel filter
- Freshwater cooled exhaust manifold and seawater cooled exhaust elbow
- Freshwater cooling system governed by thermostat
- Tubular heat exchanger with integral expansion tank
- Coolant system prepared for hot water outlet fittings
- Easily accessible sea water pump and impeller
- 12V corrosion-protected electrical system
- 14 Volt / 6O Amp marine alternator
- Charging regulator with electronic sensor for voltage drop compensation
- Glow plugs for cold starting
- Electric starter motor (0.7 kW output)
- Extension cable harness with plug-in connection available in various lengths
Choice of transmissions
- MS2A – reverse gear with 7° down angle output: Ratio 2.4:1 or 3.0:1.
- MS2L – reverse gear with straight output: Ratio 2.3:1 or 2.7:1.
- 120S – S-drive. Ratio 2.5:1.
- Housing of gravity die-cast aluminum alloy
- Pattern-matched helical cut gears
- Mechanical cone clutch shift
- Safety coupling with built-in overload protection
- Internal oil cooler (MS2)
Volvo Penta MD2020 Specifications
|Volvo Penta MD2020|
|Number of Cylinders||3|
|Idle (no-load) speed (rpm)||850|
|Full load speed (rpm)||3900|
|Cylinder Diameter (mm)||67|
|Weight, engine without oil and water (kg)||116|
Components of the MD2020 (and MS25S Sail Drive)
- Coolant filler cap
- Expansion tank
- Relay box with fuses
- Flexible mounting
- Starter motor
- AC generator
- Folding propeller
- Cooling water intake, S-drive
- Sea cock, S-drive
- Dipstick, reverse gear/S-drive
- Fine fuel filter
- Oil filler cap, engine
- Dipstick, engine
- Air cleaner (ACL) / Air intake
- Seawater pump
- Injection pump
- Lubricating oil filter
- Fuel pump
- Oil drain plug, S-drive
- Sacrificial anode
Maintenance jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2020
- Changing the primary fuel filter on your marine diesel installation
- Checking the starter motor drive belt on your Volvo Penta MD2020
- Removal and inspection of the air filter on the Volvo Penta MD2020
- Inspection of the gasket between the heat exchanger and the exhaust elbow
Winterising jobs for your Volvo Penta MD2020
- Volvo Penta MD2020 engine oil and filter change
- Flushing salt-water from the Volvo Penta MD2020 and introducing anti-freeze
- Clean and winterise the raw-water filter
- Stern gear: Grease your lip seal or refill the greaser on your stuffing box
- Changing the Secondary Fuel filter on the Volvo Penta MD2020
- Removing and testing the thermostat on your Volvo Penta MD2020
A smart skipper learns from the lessons of others.
In our Volvo Penta MD2000 Series Almanac section, we have a series of previous questions and queries from MD2000 series engine owners along with answers. Many of these have been adapted from discussions on the “Volvo Penta Marine Engines owners group” Facebook group which is a fantastic resource for getting technical help.
Do you want to get future VP MD2000 Series Almanac articles straight to your inbox? Sign up to our VP MD2000 Series Owners’ Group today and we’ll make sure that you’re first to see them. And we definitely won’t share your email address with anyone else.