“Two cylinder,four cycle smoothness in a lightweight, compact engine”
When Westerbeke introduced the 12-B-Two in 1983 they proudly described it as having “the smallest envelope” available. Undoubtedly compact, these low profile diesels were easy to install, easy on fuel and easy to service. The engines featured;
- Fresh water cooling as standard
- The engine was pre-wired to plug-in connector for ease of installation
- A self-bleeding fuel system made running out of fuel or changing filters less of a major issue
- A 12 volt, 35 ampere alternator charged the vessel’s battery bank quickly without too much strain on the engine.
- Flow control domestic hot water connections as standard brought comfort on board
- A coolant recovery tank was fitted as standard
- Throttle, stop, and shift control brackets were fitted
- Low oil pressure and high water temperature alarms kept the engine safe
- Glow plug cold starting aid made winter use possible
- Four point adjustable flex engine mounts made installation easier
- A lube oil drain hose made changing the engine oil much easier
- A flexible fuel supply and return connector again made installation much more straightforward
Power and Efficiency
Whilst keeping the engine simple, Westerbeke delivered power and efficiency in a reliable and compact unit. 12hp was generated at 3600 rpm.
With a conventional two-cylinder vertical in-line design, the 12B Two was naturally aspirated and developed a compression ratio of 25:1.
|Feature||Westerbeke 12B Two|
|Configuration||4-stroke, vertical, fresh water-cooled diesel engine|
|Maximum output at crankshaft||12 hp@3600 rpm|
27.52 cu. in.
|Bore x stroke||65 mm x 68 mm
2.56 in x 2.68 in
|Combustion system||swirl type pre-combustion chamber|
|Starting system||Electric starting 12V with solenoid activated shift|
|Alternator||12V – 35A
|Cooling system||4qt (3.78 litre) coolant.|
|Lubrication system||Enclosed, forced lubricating system by gear pump|
|Direction of rotation [crankshaft]||Counterclockwise viewed from flywheel side|
|Dry weight with gear||92.9 kg